Malegaon Fort / मालेगाव किल्ला is land fort located in the busy Malegaon town. It is located 104km from Nashik, in Nashik district, of Maharashtra. This fort is on the north bank of Mausam river which is a tributary of Girna river.
In 1740 this fort was constructed by Naro Shankar Raje Bahadur the general of Peshwa. He was appointed as an agent in Malwa.He was gifted 18 villages which included Malewadi. .The crafts men were brought from Surat and northern India to build the fort.It took about 25 years to build the fort.. After the fort was completed the craftsmen settled in the town. In 1816 Dilawar Khan a Rohill sepoy first constrcted an Idgah in the town. After the fall of Trymbak fort on 24 May 1818, this fort was besieged on 16th May 1818 by the East India Company.
How to reach
The fort is located in the midst of Malegaon town. Malegaon town is located on the Mumbai-Agra National highway NH-60. The fort is also called as Raje Bahadur Wada.It is close to the Ramsetu bridge. The fort is open to the public between 10 am -5 pm. At present, there is a Marathi high school in the premises of the fort.
Places to see
The entire fort is in good condition. The height of the inner wall is 60 feet.The fort has lofty entrance doors. The thickness of the walls is about 6 feet. There are two cannons at the entrance door. there is a hexagonal well inside the fort. It takes about an hour to see the fort.